Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Green is the new black

When left bored and with no one to shoot the shit with at work I'm tempted to doodle. And doodle I do.



Likely this is something that will only be funny to someone at my work, or anyone else who works in retail and has had to put up with customers whining about efforts the store is making towards a better environment.
I cannot for the life of me understand why people are so reluctant to shell out a meager five cents for a plastic bag. It's not as though we're asking for their first born, though perhaps we should start. These children can become the mystical cashiers we pull out of thin air when customers start ranting about lines and how we must have more people floating around to open up for their convenience, as though we haven't already exhausted every other option in that department.

Not one to ignore other options, I should point out that my work offers - and has for some time - reusable bags, even before they were all the rage.
So what is the issue here?
Am I supposed to care that you're constantly forgetting your reusable bags in your car?
Do you feel that your forgetfulness will somehow coerce me into feigning sympathy for you enough to hand over a free plastic bag?
Surely no one would expect such a thing from me.

I'm not what you would call a tree hugger, per se, but maybe a tree admirer.
I care about environmental issues as much as the next gal, and do whatever I can to keep things green, but I'm not as "up there" with my efforts as some people.
My home has no solar panels, I own nothing made of hemp, and I've been known to accidentally put recyclables in the trash. Forgive me!
However, this doesn't mean I'm going to hold someone's hand through excessive plastic bag consumption.
It's damn unnecessary.

There are more than enough alternatives to plastic bags, especially now that so many stores are offering their own reusable bags that can often be purchased at beyond reasonable prices. I don't think $1 is a lot to ask for something you're going to use all the time.
Not only are these reusable bags becoming more accessible, they're also becoming more fashionable, for those fashion-forward tree huggers, or admirers.



Anya Hindmarch is the designer behind this bag, which originally retails for £5, but has been auctioned on eBay for as much as £400, thanks to its Hollywood exposure.
More about this bag can be read here.



Envirosax.com has a whole line of environmentally friendly bags, and although they go for $24.95 AUD, they're still worth the buy.

For more local options, most grocery stores here in Canada (and I would assume all of North America) have their own line of bags.
The President's Choice Greenest Shopping Bag is indisputably the most popular here, and as an incentive to use their bags President's Choice offers 50 of their PC points for every PC Green bag you use each time you shop.
These points can, as I understand it, be redeemed for groceries at PC participating grocery stores. How nice, you get to help the environment and President's Choice rewards you with food. Sign me up!
Oh wait, there are already about 15 of those bags in my house.
President's Choice also has some great green tips and products listed on their website here.

I have seen a few people with large black canvas totes that say This Bag Is Green, and through some internet trolling have learned that Canadian Tire once offered these. I'm hoping they still do, because as far as looking good while doing good for the environment goes I think that one is top notch.
However, should I not be able to get my hands on one, Coca Cola has a reasonable facsimile in their online store in their classic red and white.




Plastic bags are so 1970, and not in that hip vintage t-shirt sort of way. It's about damn time people got hip to the enviro-jive and started carrying around a reusable alternative to the landfill heathens.

No comments: