Monday, March 31, 2008

FU, corporate.

This past Saturday was Earth Hour, and it was asked that everyone turn off their lights from 8pm to 9pm. Now I must say that I am very disappointed in my work for not participating.
I understand that an hour of only working on a generator would piss a few people off, but we're supposed to be a company that cares about the environment and no one even batted an eyelash.
To hell with the customers, I say. We've worked under worse conditions and still business went on as almost usual, in that no one decided to halt the process of draining their bank accounts to shop at our store, and generally everything went off without a hitch.

Now I don't know if it would have "counted" if we still ran on a generator and just shut off the electricity, and I can understand - though I do not like this fact - that corporate would not be on the side of closing an hour early, but no one even made an effort. They didn't so much as dim the lights to give the impression that we were participating in this world-wide electricity conservation initiative.
I can't remember the exact square footage of the store, but if memory serves it's somewhere in the neighbourhood of 250,000 sq.ft. Yeah, that's a lot of friggen electricity.

Something I found interesting is what's posted on the IKEA.ca website:
"Climate change is happening now, which is why we at the IKEA Group are determined to play a part in preventing it by improving our overall energy efficiency and reduce our emissions of greenhouse gases."
So why the hell didn't we participate in Earth Hour!?
All of the information IKEA.ca provides on their environmental efforts can be found here.

Poor form, IKEA. Poor form.
And after all the harping they do about plastic bag consumption and the "efforts" they make to recycle old batteries and light bulbs they let Earth Hour pass by without so much as a second thought. It all makes them seem so hypocritical.
Yes, we'll save the environment, but only when it doesn't potentially interfere with sales.

I put efforts in parentheses when referring to the battery recycling because not once have I ever seen those batteries be taken to a recycling facility. The bin has never been emptied (to my knowledge) in the nearly three years I've worked there.
But then again, having them in our store is still better than having them in landfills, so I can't really complain, especially since the majority of batteries that are said to be recycled don't actually see that fate and are shipped off to landfills anyway.

I really shouldn't watch those CBC docu-news shows; they just make me angry at people.

Anyway...
A few customers asked me why we weren't participating and the only answer I could give them was that I assumed it was due to the fact that people would probably complain.
I know we have enough generator power to run the store for one piddly little hour, so they really had no excuse.

I guess the environment is really only important when sales aren't involved, eh, IKEA?
Never mind the fact that hundreds of dollars would have been saved on electricity, since it costs thousands to run the store for just one day.
But hey, who am I to apply logic to a situation, I'm just a measly little cashier who gives a shit.

I've emailed corporate under the guise as a customer, as I don't feel like being harped on for mentioning that I am an employee, and requested that they send any answers to my question to my email.
The message I sent them reads as such:
"As a customer who is very environmentally conscious, I am interested to know why IKEA Canada chose not to participate in Earth Hour this past Saturday the 29th of March, 2008.
IKEA claims to be at the forefront of environmental issues, yet no efforts were made to participate in this world-wide initiative to reduce electricity consumption.
I hope someone can offer some reasoning as to why IKEA ignored Earth Hour, despite their apparent concern for the environment.

I have chosen not to include my full mailing address, and encourage that a response be sent to my email."

I'm putting my money on receiving nothing more than some uninterested auto-response from corporate.
You can colour me surprised if I receive anything more than that.

Any response from IKEA corporate will be posted here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know that power coming off a generator would, by virtue of its portability, consume MORE fossil fuels than one funneled from a power plant, yes? If they went off the grid and used a generator, it would be WORSE (though only marginally) for the planet than not going off the grid.